Iosco County Directories
Real Estate MLS
Snowmobile Trail Report
Sherman Township, Michigan
Sherman Township is located in the southern border of Iosco County, with its eastern side approximately five miles from the Lake Huron shore. This is primarily a rural area, with a quarter of the township contained in the Ogemaw State Forest. National City, its largest community, is situated to the north, at the junction of Whittemore and National City Roads. It contains a post office, restaurant and garage. The Au Gres River flows a mile east of there, and an old Detroit & Mackinac Railroad trestle, (circa 1914), can be seen to the south of the road from the bridge.
National City originally had the name of Emery Junction back in 1884, when the D & M Railroad built a station here during the lumber boom. Later, a gypsum deposit was discovered, and the National Gypsum Company set up shop in 1925, which is when the name changed to National City. Gypsum is still mined here today - the company and quarry lake can be seen from Alabaster Road, just a few miles west of the township hall.
If you have any comments or suggestions, please take a minute to write [email protected].
InfoMI.com is not affiliated with external sites and is not responsible for their content.
Copyright © InfoMI.com 2003