Moscow Township Population: 2000(1445) 1990(1353) Change(92)
Moscow an unincorporated village consisting of just a few buildings has a branch of the Kalamazoo River flowing through and is located on busy US-12 which follows the meanderings of the The Old Sauk Trail the stages used to travel from Detroit to Chicago, the road was called "The Chicago Pike"
after it was improved for motor vehicle.
It is believed that Moscow derived its name from an Indian term which described the land west of the river..........."MAS-COOT-AB-SI-AC" which meant Sand Creek Prairie.
This once busteling community had grist mills, saw mills, a plow factory, grocery and mercantile stores, a hotel/stagecoach stop with tavern, a school, a church and its own Post Office.
Serveral trains served the area daily and a depot was provided which was sold to the Township after the tracks were taken up in the early thirtys, the restored building is now a State Hospital site and is used by the Township for its meetings and voting place.
The advent of the automobile brought the village its share of mom and pop gasoline stations, at one time in the 30's there were eight places that sold gas and oil, today there are none at all, just the Post Office, a bar and a convenience store remain.
The Masonic Temple is located in the large wood building at the corner of Chicago & Moscow Roads.
Submitted by: Russ McGee