McKinley - Mentor Township
Oscoda County Directories
Real Estate MLS
Snowmobile Trail Report
McKinley - Mentor Township, Michigan
Mentor Township consists of the southeast quarter of Oscoda County. This township has 144 square miles, four times the size of a "normal" township. Over
95 % of it is in the Huron National Forest, with many low-lying scrub pine areas where Kirtland’s Warblers nest. The Au Sable River flows along the northern border, with many access points for canoers.
The small community of McKinley, on the Au Sable along County Road F-32 is located in the northeast corner of the township. This was once known as "Potts’ Headquarters," the first thriving community in the lumber era of the 1880’s, complete with hotels, stores and churches -- started by an early settler from Simcoe, Canada, J. E. Potts. His J. E. Potts Salt & Lumber Company just east in Iosco County became one of the world’s largest until 1890, when the lumber era came to an abrupt halt. The town also declined rapidly, as there was no railroad nearby, leaving it landlocked, accessible only by the river.
If you have any comments or suggestions, please take a minute to write [email protected].
InfoMI.com is not affiliated with external sites and is not responsible for their content.
Copyright © InfoMI.com 2003