Banks Township Population: 2000(1813) 1990(1513) Change(300)
Welcome to Banks Township.... a place of community and a township working to combine its agricultural tradition with the growing tourism of Northern Michigan.
Banks Township\'s natural resources make it a recreational paradise for those who enjoy spending time outdoors. It\'s hardworking, friendly people make it a great place to live or visit.
This northerly township of Antrim County, called Banks, was organized by an act of the Michigan Legislature on March 11, 1863. The plat map of 1910 shows schools and churches as well as roads that went around steep hills. Two examples of such roads include Essex Road at Peebles Road, and the Ellsworth-Atwood Road, where Bentley Hill was skirted by going north on Friske Road, then west just past the Doctor School and back south to the bottom of Bentley Hill. Most of the property owners\' names on this map are only familiar to people over 50 years of age.
Two important sources of historical information on Banks Township are available for readers: Elsie Timmer\'s Gleanings from Ellsworth\'s Yesteryears (Petoskey, MI, Review Printing Company, Inc., 1966?) and Grace Hooper\'s Pioneer Notes (Elk Rapids, MI, Fen\'s Rim Publications, 1993.) Personal recollections of members of the Banks Township Historical Society provide additional historical information.
Write up courtesy of Banks Township .