Houghton County is located in Michigan's northwestern upper
peninsula, on the southern coastline of Lake Superior.
Houghton County, organized in 1848, was named after Douglass Houghton who
confirmed the existence of copper in the Keweenaw Peninsula.
Due to the success of copper mining in the early 1900's, Houghton County was the
fourth most populous county in Michigan, featuring a wide ethnic diversity of
immigrants and opulent, turn-of-the century architecture.
The natural beauty of Houghton County's landscape on the lower half of the
Keweenaw Peninsula is dotted by numerous abandoned mine sites. The area's
colorful history, interesting geology and its many recreational opportunities
make it one of Michigan's prime tourism areas.