Real Estate MLS
Snowmobile Trail Report
Photos courtesy of:
|Stambaugh is a small community about a mile south of Iron River in Michiganís Iron County. Although recently merged with Iron River, this area still has its own small-town atmosphere, complete with school and park. It is situated on a hill which overlooks Iron River to the west.|
This area was first settled in 1855 by Elizabeth Slaten, who was assigned the land by the US Government being a widow of a War of 1812 veteran, Joshua Slaten. The area grew rapidly as the iron boom developed. Eventually, the plat was sold in 1880 to Escanaba businessmen Dr. Louis D. Cyr, Louis Steigmiller and Richard Selden, with Selden becoming the first postmaster in 1882. It was named for John Stambaugh, from the Todd, Stambaugh Company of Youngstown, Ohio, who recently bought the Iron River Mine.
If you have comments or suggestions, please take a minute to write to the InfoMI Help Desk.
InfoMI.com is not affiliated with this municipality or any external sites and is not responsible for their content.
Copyright © InfoMI.com 2004