|Robert K. Rogers bought land from Jesse Hoyt to settle here in 1865 but Mrs. Louisa Woodruff and her son, Daniel, built and occupied the first house. Mr. Rogers built his house the following year.|
Mr. A. W. Gates, a stage proprietor, got the town a post office and plank road. The town was named Gates in 1871.
A short time later, the superintendent, G. W. Reese, brought the Detroit & Bay City Railroad through here in 1873. The station, post office and town was then renamed after him.