Real Estate MLS
Snowmobile Trail Report
Photos courtesy of:
Pinckney is located in southern Livingston County in Putnam Township, about two miles north of the Washtenaw County line, along M-36. Its economy is supported primarily by small business and its ideal location as a bedroom community to both the greater Ann Arbor and Lansing areas.|
This area was first settled by New Yorker residents William Kirkland and his brother-in-law, James Stansbury 1827. They bought land in the area then owned by the Sanford Marble Company and a Colonel Peterson - also from New York. Kirkland, along with Stansbury as business manager, began the William Kirkland Company, which organized the village. Kirkland decided to name the community after his brother, a New York lawyer, Charles Pinckney Kirkland. The village was platted, recorded in 1837, with Stansbury becoming the first postmaster that same year. It eventually was incorporated as a village in 1883.
If you have comments or suggestions,
please take a minute to write to the InfoMI Help Desk.
InfoMI.com is not affiliated with this municipality or any external sites and is not responsible for their content.
Copyright © InfoMI.com 1999-2004