Photos courtesy of:
Hersey was named after fur trader and first resident, Nathan Hersey who settled here in the 1840�s. Hersey boomed during the lumber days, having two hotels, three saloons and several stores by the late 1800�s.
During those days, Hersey was the county seat for the area covering Osceola and Mecosta Counties, before they split.
DeLos A. Blodgett, a lumber baron, settled here during that time, and did much to contribute to the area, including building the Congregational Church, now a historical landmark. The dam was built during the early 1900�s and originally powered city streetlights.
Geographically, the Hersey and Muskegon Rivers meet here, making it a great place for trout fishing or to finish a canoe trip. Hersey is also situated on the Pere Marquette Rails to Trails State Park, currently paved west to Reed City and four miles east to Evart.
Today, Hersey retains its small town atmosphere while still on the grow: Recently a new fire barn was built, after being approved in a millage increase.
And, Hersey proudly celebrates its Heritage Days the first weekend in June.
If you have comments or suggestions, please take a minute to write to the InfoMI Help Desk.
InfoMI.com is not affiliated with any external sites and is not responsible for their content.
Copyright © InfoMI.com 1999-2006