Britton is located on the near northeastern edge of Lenawee County along M-50, about nine miles northeast of Adrian. This small community is supported primarily by agriculture and small business, and is situated along an active railroad. A huge grain elevator operates on the north side of the town. The main street area contains some gift, antique and hobby shops, along with a couple of restaurants and a food market.
Historically, this community originated when the Wabash Railroad built a station here in 1881, naming the town Balch.
That same year, John Britton, a storekeeper, started the post office and
sought to re-name the town after himself. After some deal-making,
waiting and a payment of $500.00, he was able to convince the railroad
to do this in 1888.
Photos courtesy of: Ken Huisjen