Photos courtesy of: Ken Huisjen
Located astride M-46 in
the village of Breckenridge is an agricultural center that, together
with the neighboring community of Wheeler, is home to the Michigan
Agricultural Commodities, Inc. or MAC.
A small retail strip along the main thoroughfare offers grocery, floral,
antique, hardware, and restaurant establishments
The Amazing Grace Community Center hosts a variety of community events
each year, as well as private gatherings. Breckenridge-Wheeler Area
Historical Society, Inc., established in 1994, has two museum sites
located along the 'plank': The Plank Road Museum commemorating the
Saginaw and St. Louis Plank Road, a state road completed in 1870 and now
known as M-46 and Drake Memorial House, a museum representing a country
doctors home at the turn of the century.
The Breckenridge Area Chamber of Commerce hosts an annual fall festival
in September, coinciding with the Breckenridge Community Schools
Homecoming festivities, commemorating the original transportation route
hewn from the surrounding forests and laid down into
Gratiot County from
Saginaw, to be followed shortly by rail service.
Freight trains still traverse the tracks that angle across M-46 near the
towering M.A.C. silos and the American Legion post.
Corrections to this write up courtesy of Patricia Gillis of Wheeler Twp.