Lake County Directories
Real Estate MLS
Snowmobile Trail Report
Lake Township, Michigan
Lake Township is situated in the southwestern corner of Lake County.
About on half of it is contained in the Manistee National Forest. The other half consists of a chain of lakes, which contributed to the naming of the County. Big Star Lake, the largest, covering over two square miles, has a public access point located at the southwestern end of the lake. A golf course can be found at the east end.
The Pere Marquette River briefly cuts through the northeast corner of the township, which canoers can access at the Bowman Bridge Landing on 56th Street, about 4 miles west of Baldwin.
Historically, this area was first settled by lumbermen shortly after the Civil War. In 1867, 12 Union Army veterans from the same unit of St. Lawrence County, New York, came here filing timber claims. Named Carr’s Settlement, after their leader, Charles Carr, it lasted until all the lumber was harvested. It was located at what is today the junction of Tyndall Road and 64th Street.
If you have any comments or suggestions, please take a minute to write email@example.com.
InfoMI.com is not affiliated with external sites and is not responsible for their content.
Copyright © InfoMI.com 2003