Greenbush is located in Greenbush Township, the southeastern corner of Alcona County. This area was first settled in 1849 when the firm of Crosier & Davison of Detroit built a barrel plant and fishery.
Shortly afterwards, the lumbering firm of Morris & McDougal of New York State purchased government land here, and it became known locally as McDougal’s Landing.
In the late 1860’s, it was officially named Greenbush, after the town of Greenbush, New York, at the suggestion of a settler from the east.
Today, the Greenbush area remains a prime tourist attraction, featuring Cedar Lake, just a mile inland from Lake Huron and US-23. It has also retained much of its historical character architecturally, having carefully preserved the township hall and an old one-room school house.