Saint Clair County Directories
Real Estate MLS
Snowmobile Trail Report
Columbus Township, Michigan
Columbus Township is located in the near southwest corner of Saint Clair Countyís "panhandle." This is a hilly, rural area mixed with forests, small farms and residential subdivisions. It is bisected diagonally by US-25 and makes an ideal living spot for commuters, conveniently located near 6 towns all within ten miles. Its main geographical feature is the scenic Belle River which flows through the area.
This area was first settled in 1832 when the Fort Gratiot Turnpike was developed through the area. At that time, settlers Peter Kilroy, James Mallory, George Bathey and Benjaman Weeks began the community of Columbus, with the Township of the same name organized in 1837. It received a station on the Grand Trunk Railroad in 1839. The railroad still goes through there today, just west of the junction of Rattle Run and Hessen Roads. another small community, Snyderville, (now the corner of Gratiot and Werner Road), existed here in the mid 1920ís.
If you have any comments or suggestions, please take a minute to write [email protected].
InfoMI.com is not affiliated with external sites and is not responsible for their content.
Copyright © InfoMI.com 2003