Clarendon Township Population: 2000(1114) 1990(1100) Change(14)
Located between Homer and Tekonsha Boundaries L Drive South on the North, 24 Mile Road on the East, Calhoun/Branch County line on the South and 18 1/2 Mile road on the West It is a rural, mostly agricultural community, and is zoned.
It's main roads are Michigan state hwy 60, L Drive So, T Drive South, 22 Mile Road, and 18 1/2 mile Road.
The Saint Joseph River bisects the twp, giving the area no less than 20 bridges to cross the river. The Tamarack Drain and Tekonsha Creek run thru the area also.
The school districts of Homer and Tekonsha split the twp almost evenly. The twp is also split between the Homer and Tekonsha fire departments, as are the rural addresses and telephone services.
The community also has several cementeries- West Clarendon, on M60; Cook's Paraire on 23 Mile rd; Bentley's Corners on T Drive South; Saint Joseph's on the County Line rd.
At one time there were 7 1-room schools, Taffee, Darrow, Flint, Born, Knickerbocker, Pritchard, Sloan, the last to close was the Pritchard in the 1950's.
The main attraction is Clarendon Pond at the corner of R Drive South and 22 Mile Road the park is open to the public.
The Township Hall is also at Clarendon Pond and was built in 1872. The township has no formal offices, conducting monthly board meetings on the second Monday at 7:30 PM at the township hall, and is a member of the Michigan Twp Association.
Most businesses in the township on are M-60, most notable are Rennco, and Thurston's Furniture & Flea Market.
Information courtesy of Carmen Petersen