Breitung Charter Township Population: 2000() 1990() Change()
Breitung Township history is rooted in the story of Quinnesec, platted in 1876. Quinnesec's tale begins with John Lane Buell, an explorer from Indiana.
In the fall of 1871, Buell made his first trip to the Menominee Range with John Armstrong, a timber cruiser. While camping on what became Quinnesec Avenue, Buell strolled to a nearby bluff and discovered an outcropping of iron ore, later called Quinnesec Mine and Devil's Ice Box. After securing the title to this section of land, Buell explored the deposit of ore, and by 1874, he took the first consignment of ore by sleigh and wagon to Menominee where the 53 tons were smelted by the Menominee Furnace Company and found to be of rich quality. This was the first of many mines that created the town's industry. Logging was also a mainstay, supplying timber for mining operations.
By 1876, Buell set up a portable sawmill and constructed the Pioneer School House (the precursor to the current Breitung Township School District). He also donated land for the Catholic and Methodist churches.
To read more see - http://www.breitungtownship.org/content/view/17/32/