Gladwin County is located in the central - northeastern section
of Michiganís lower peninsula.
This county was named in 1831 for British Major Henry Gladwin of Fort Detroit
who led the only fort in the midwest to withstand the assaults of Chief
Pontiac's 5-month siege in 1763, when Pontiac resisted the settlement of
Michigan and Ohio.
The first settlers to the area were Marvel Secord and his family who in 1861
canoed up the Tittabawassee River to the mouth of the Sugar River, just a few
miles from where the city of
Gladwin exists today.
The county remained untamed until the1880ís, when many lumber towns were
established here because of the thick white pine forests.
Later, oil was discovered near the
Today, Gladwin Countyís economy includes auto parts manufacturing, thermoform,
RV manufacturing, wood products, construction and agriculture. Tourism plays a
special role in Gladwin Countyís waterways, with several dams on the
Tittabawassee, Sugar, Tobacco and Cedar rivers creating opportunities for
boating, fishing, canoeing and sightseeing.
The Tittabawassee State Forest to the east, almost a fourth of the entire
county, offers plenty of opportunity for hiking, hunting and snowmobiling.