Real Estate MLS
Snowmobile Trail Report
Photos courtesy of:
|Whitehall, located in northern Muskegon County about five miles from the Lake Michigan coastline, is named for its location at the end of beautiful White Lake, actually the mouth of the White River at Lake Michigan. Although much of its economy is tourist-related, especially its extended marina on the lake, it also contains some small businesses and manufacturing facilities. It is a commuter town to the greater Muskegon area just 10 miles to the south.
Whitehall’s recorded history began around 1859 when Charles Mears, a noted lumber baron to the area platted the village along with Giles B. Slocum, naming it Mears. In 1862, it was renamed Whitehall. It grew because of its strategic location for floating and distributing lumber, incorporating as a village in 1867. It later was incorporated as a city in 1942.
If you have any comments or suggestions, please take a minute to write using our contact form.
InfoMI.com is not affiliated with external sites and is not responsible for their content.
Copyright © InfoMI.com 2003