Photo Album NEW
Real Estate MLS
Snowmobile Trail Report
Photos courtesy of:
|In 1827, when this settlement was constructed, Governor Lewis Cass named it for a local Pottawattomi chief. Then in 1834, Abram Caleb Truax, the colony's first supervisor, laid out the village of Truaxton. On January 2, 1828, the colony was given a post office as Monguago, with Mr. Truax as its first postmaster. A few years later (February 3, 1837) the colony's' name was changed to Truago.|
10 years later the name was changed again, this time to Trenton. This name came from the strata of limestone underlying the town. In 1850, the settlement was platted and recorded as Trenton by George B. Truax and Sophia Slocum. Five years later in 1855 the settlement was incorporated as a village. In 1929, Trenton village annexed the village of Sibley. In 1957, the village of Trenton was incorporated as a city.
If you have any comments or suggestions, please take a minute to write using our contact form.
InfoMI.com is not affiliated with external sites and is not responsible for their content.
Copyright © InfoMI.com 2005