Pewamo is a rural, agricultural town located on the eastern border of Ionia County on M-21. It was started in 1857 as a result of the Detroit & Milwaukee RR building a line through the area. The Rail line was removed in 1995.
It was given its name by J.C. Blanchard, an early settler of the area. He named it after a local Indian chief he hunted with along the Grand River.
The largest business in this area at this time is the Devereaux Sawmill and there are also several small businesses. There are also many large farms and many people from this area work in Lansing for the State of Michigan or General Motors. There are also several prisons in nearby communities where many area residents are employed.
The community is comprised of mostly German Catholics and is a great place to live and raise a family.