Real Estate MLS
Snowmobile Trail Report
Photos courtesy of:
|Lawrence is located in southern Van Buren County on the Red Arrow Highway, about eight miles west of Paw Paw. It is situated on the Paw Paw River and at the junction of County Roads 365, 215 and 673. It has a village form of government and its own school system. Its economic base is supported primarily by local small business, agriculture and some small to medium manufacturing.|
Lawrence was first settled in 1835 by John Allen, who named the town "Mason" after Michiganís Governor, Steven T. Mason. Allen apparently did not register the land, however, and he was later foreclosed upon by a John Baker, who then owned most of the land in the village.
Baker then renamed it Lawrence, after the Township, and officially registered the plat. It later was incorporated as a village in 1879.
If you have comments or suggestions,
please take a minute to write to the InfoMI Help Desk.
InfoMI.com is not affiliated with any external sites and is not responsible for their content.
Copyright © InfoMI.com 1999-2004