The first settlement here was named Canandaigua, after Canandaigua, N.Y. by the settlers who had come from there. However, it was renamed Orion "because it was short, handy to write, and altogether lovely." In 1929, it was renamed Lake Orion.
A power dam, built in 1828, united several small lakes and formed the present mile-wide lake. The area became a summer resort and developed into a year-round community.
Lake Orion is located just north of Pontiac on M-24, 25 miles north of Detroit. The Pontiac Silverdome, The Palace of Auburn Hills and the new Chrysler Technical Center are only minutes away.