Highland Park, Michigan

City Weather
County Info
City Government
Highland Park
Michigan Block Clubs

Related Links
Business Directory
Church Directory
Organization Directory
Recreational Directory
Event Calendar
Real Estate MLS
Lodging Reservations
Snowmobile Trail Report

Michigan Pages
Michigan Cities

Michigan Counties
Michigan Townships

InfoMI Services
Contact Us
Get Listed

Great Lodging Rates
Hotel City Search:


InfoMI.com

Highland Park, Michigan

48203


Photos Needed!

Please Contact

InfoMI@infomi.com
The first known settler was Richard Ford who built his cabin upon the highland for which the town was eventually named, a ridge later leveled when Woodward Avenue was put through from Detroit. It was then some six miles northwest of that city, but is now completely surrounded by it.

Judge Augustus B. Woodward bought the ridge in 1818 and platted the village of Woodwardville in 1825. His plans failed as did those of Judge Benjamin F. Witherell who attempted to found a village on the site in 1836.

The settlement was given a post office as Whitewood on February12, 1873, with Adolphus Trombley as its first postmaster. The office was closed on October 20, 1875, and restored on January 25, 1876, with John T. Mott, Jr. as its postmaster. The office was renamed Highland Park on June 27, 1889, but was closed on April 30, 1909, when it became a branch of the Detroit post office.

The successful promotion of the town is credited to William H. Stevens and Henry Ford's building a factory here in 1909. This settlement was incorporated as a village in 1889 and as a city in 1917.


If you have comments or suggestions, please take a minute to write to the InfoMI Help Desk.

Back to InfoMI Main Page.



InfoMI.com is not affiliated with any external sites and is not responsible for their content.
Copyright © InfoMI.com 2004