Real Estate MLS
Snowmobile Trail Report
In 1796, Colonel John Francis Hamtramck, under General Anthony Wayne, commanded the troops, which took possession of Detroit upon the evacuation of the British. This township, erected in 1798, was named for him. It then started at the Detroit River and most of its first settlers were French families spreading out from Detroit.|
On April 12, 1827, the township was organized, and its village, southeast of present-day Hamtramck Township, was given a post office on October 3, 1828, with Thomas Noxon as its first postmaster. On March 2, 1836 the office was closed. The village largely on the land of J. Godfrey was later platted and recorded on January 12, 1847.
On April 5, 1899, present-day Hamtramck was given a post office named Kraft, for Christopher Kraft, the first postmaster. On October 15, 1905 the name of the office was changed to Hamtramck, with Arthur P. Schroeder as postmaster.
Hamtramck was incorporated as a village in 1901 and as a city in 1921. Hamtramck lies entirely within the city of Detroit, however is politically independent.
If you have comments or suggestions, please take a minute to write to the InfoMI Help Desk.
InfoMI.com is not affiliated with any external sites and is not responsible for their content.
Copyright © InfoMI.com 2004