De Tour Village,
Real Estate MLS
Snowmobile Trail Report
De Tour Village, Michigan
De Tour Village is a cozy town settled at the far eastern corner of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Located in Chippewa County, De Tour Village is the turning point for the St. Mary's River, Lake Superior, and the Straits of Mackinac shipping industry. Here at the point lie some of the most interesting and historic spots in the Upper Peninsula. Drummond Island is only one mile across the river from De Tour and is one of the largest islands in the St. Mary's River.
Among the many points of interest, one can see Light House Point, Lake Michigan, Lake Huron, Drummond Island, and Numerous islands of the St. Mary's River. The St. Mary's River has always been a strategic point for trade and travel. In early days, Fort Drummond and De Tour were the most important trading posts for the Chippewa Indians.
Originally, De Tour was named Warrenville, after the name of the first township postmaster, Ebenezer Warren, in 1848. Its name was changed to De Tour on July 25, 1856, when Henry A. Williams became the area postmaster. The office was closed, restored, then closed, and finnaly restored in 1877. De Tour was incorporated as De Tour Village in 1961.
If you have any comments or suggestions, please take a minute to write using our contact form.
InfoMI.com is not affiliated with external sites and is not responsible for their content.
Copyright © InfoMI.com 1999-2004